Sunday, November 3, 2013

Ugh, I need to do this more often

Blah, blah, blah, the usual regrets about not having updated in such a long time. More of the same about how life is too hectic for me to participate in NaNoWriMo, again, this year.  It’s all true and it’s all too tedious to moan about at great length.

Last time, I was looking forward to seeing Marian Call in Kansas City, if only a concert venue could be found.  Someone stepped up and made arrangements to occupy the coffee bar in a Barnes & Noble, and a good time was had by the relative few who showed up.  And, rather than do the obvious fanboy thing, and have her autograph an album or something, I got “The Musician” to sign my copy of The Typewriter (in the 21st Century).  That seemed to impress her.

This year, I saw NaNoWriMo coming, months ahead, and knew that I wouldn’t be able to do anything with it.  For a number of reasons, I decided to satisfy my professional development requirements by taking a college course. So, instead of committing myself to a daily quota of words, I merely have to write a research paper... about mythology... and Sherlock Holmes.

It should be fun, if I ever get around to starting.  Hey, maybe it’s like NaNoWriMo, after all.

4 comments:

  1. As a 47 year old who returned to study, I have to say it's still a buzz once you get started with an assignment and even better once you've finished it. Best of luck with it. It should be...uh...elementary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear the gig went ahead and thanks for pointing my browser at Marian Call - she's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have been there. I bet she enjoyed meeting a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah. Marian seemed a bit frazzled when she arrived. Fortunately, my girlfriend met her at the door, and guided her around to the coffee bar. What audience showed up was warm and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete