Friday, August 16, 2013

Meet up for music?

I had been trying to figure out how to contact Dwayne Fuhlhage (Vintage Technology Obsessions), and then I considered just broadcasting the conversational points I wanted to make.  He had just made a post on Google+ about a Remington typewriter on eBay, being sold for parts as its keys had been chopped.  What are the moral and ethical considerations about liberating a brutalized machine from a keychopper, if one has a typewriter in need of parts?  Would this be an act of redemption for the machine, or would it rationalize the act of keychopping? I was going to reference a quote from Eddie Vedder about making shark fin soup...

And, speaking of “The Typewriter (In the 21st Century),” I also wanted to convey to Dwayne that Marian Call (referred to as “the musician” in the documentary) was going to be in Kansas City on Saturday, September 20th, and that I might be able to be able to get there.  I might even pack a typewriter in the trunk, since I will not be on my motorcycle, this time.

Long-time readers might recall that I had an “Adventure Weekend” back in June of 2010 that started with a concert by Marian.  She told me, later, that I was the only person who showed up specifically to see her perform.  She was less well known, back then, and the Typosphere had not gotten as crazy-big as it has become.  Now, dare I wonder how many Typospherians might get together to support one of our honorary members?  Anybody who is interested can find the RSVP e-mail address on her mariancall.com website. There are other concerts listed, too, for those of you far away from Kansas City.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if she performed her “Shark Week” song, with plenty of audience participation.  That pretty much brings my blog update full circle, now.

2 comments:

  1. If Dwayne doesn't contact you through this post, send me an e-mail and I'll put you in touch with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If one needs incentive to check out the show, here's a photoshoot Marian did for her Kickstarter. A typewriter girl in fantasy armor? Yes, please!

    http://www.flickr.com//photos/valette/sets/72157630338274326/show/

    ReplyDelete