Monday, December 31, 2012

Remington Home for the Holidays

It seemed like it would be a tragedy to be homeless, going into the holiday season. Things started looking pretty grim for myself, shortly after my last update. The tale is one of woe and intrigue, but I prefer not to relive or reiterate it.  Suffice to say that I've made a sort of peace with the darkness, preserving a place to rest my head for a while longer.

Another thing which had no proper place to call home was the Remington DeLuxe 5 which I purchased during warmer weather. The original carry case had served it well, but at the ultimate cost. The factory box donated the internal hardware related to securing the machine inside, but nothing could be salvaged of the hinges, the latch (without a key, anyway), or the handle. Bright brass fittings were purchased and a leather handle was stitched up. It took a while, but you can see the results.
Ever the fan of irony, I should admit that one of the motivating factors was the desire to take the Model 5 to write-ins during NaNoWriMo. Last year's sporadic participation was well-received when I showed up with a typewriter in-hand. A fancier case seemed like an additional touch of class for this year, or would have been, ahad I not been distracted by non-literary brushfires to put out.
 

Perhaps, with the advent of a new year, life will stabilize and slow down to the point where the red Remington can get out, once in a while, and do some composing.
 
Happy New Year, to everyone in the Typosphere.

 

7 comments:

  1. Wowser! That's an impressive bit of carpentry and staining. (:

    It's a wonderful home for your machine, and matches your desk quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic case!
    Best wishes for the new year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That case really looks fabulous. Nice work! And here's wishing you a calmer and more secure year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That case is absolutely amazing. I hope that 2013 is kind to you. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. And an inspiration for housing of some of my homeless beasties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That typewriter is a beauty. I love how small, dainty, and off red she is. I am sorry to hear that you are having some trouble I hope that everything resolves itself soon.

    Sarah @online phd uk Degree Programs

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete